Friday, January 07, 2005

Book Number 2

bobmin60s

Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob Dylan

This is not a book that I would normally have read myself but it was given to me over the holidays this year. When I was in college, I knew a girl who's father was a Dylan fanatic. Not in a crazy, proselytizing way but he had EVERY recording and met weekly with a group of like minded people. I always admired the fact that an artist could inspire such a devoted following.

The book has a very conversational style thaat makes for difficult reading at first but after awhile you get a sense that this is the guys character coming through. He doesn't cover his life chronologically but overall covers mainly his early years in Minnesota and then when he came to New York. What I liked best about this book was how Dylan comes of as never wanting to be the 'voice of a generation' and how much respect he has for the folk tradition that came before him and beside him. I would seriously consider reading the second volume of his autobiography.

No comments: