Monday, December 12, 2005

Frank Frazetta

frank_frazetta_conan_of_cimmeria__the_snow_giants




Frank Frazetta is a serious old schooler. I am including him in this series because in the 1950's he started his career working at DC, Avon, EC comics, etc. In the early 60's he illustrated the paperback series of Robert E. Howard's Conan. I had those titles when I was younger and they perfectly illustrated the powerful stories. The above drawing is called Snow Giants, natch.

Along with Boris Vallejo, Frazetta's work on these paintings really put him into another tier as an artist and made him famous. He went on to do mainly artwork and covers and moved away from comics. There is a wealth of his images on the web and I urge you to look them up if you like it.

1 comment:

OlmanFeelyus said...

Nice picture choice. That'll get your blood stirring on a Tuesday morning. It's the cover to Conan of Cimmeria, which my grandparents sent my parents when I was 2. I stared at that cover for years before I finally opened up the book. I love the way the one giant's helmet is knocked off.