Friday, June 10, 2011

11.12 The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer

The Tourist (2009) by Olen Steinhauer

This is a big time modern spy novel with all the push of a major publishing house behind it. I believe it has already been optioned as a movie starring George Clooney. Pretty much an airport novel. My wife, a non-spy novel reader, had quite enjoyed this one and I got sucked in by the cover blurb comparisons to Le Carre.

Milo Weaver spent many years as a CIA Tourist, a highly trained, zero-identity operative. An operation gone bad on Sept 11, 2001 (what coincidence!) made Weaver decide to get out of the game. After several years of domesticity he's drawn back in to the world of the Tourists. An international assassin, The Tiger (!), who he had been hunting for years finally makes contact and gives Weaver some shattering information.

It wasn't the worst book ever. The writer knows what he is doing and paces the story well. However, other than bringing in post-9/11, Homeland Security type setting there was very little innovative in this book. Wait for the movie.

1 comment:

OlmanFeelyus said...

Hmmm, this was on my list, since my wife found a reviewer's copy at work (they have a book giveaway shelf there) and it looked a bit intriguing, but I will take it off the list now. My on-deck shelf is too big. I appreciate your efforts!