Thursday, October 13, 2011

11.13 Thirteen by Richard K Morgan

Black Man aka Thirteen (2007) by Richard K Morgan

I am really, really far behind on posting about my reading but as I finally seem to be finding a taste for the written word I feel I should get some of these out of the way.

From the publisher:

"Carl Marsalis is a traitor, a bringer of death, a genetic freak and an unwelcome reminder of all that is dark in the human psyche – he in every sense of the word a Black Man. And right at the moment he’s beyond the UN’s jurisdiction, banged up in a Florida jail for financing an illegal abortion. So when the US police call, Carl cuts a deal.
The 13s are genetically engineered alpha males, designed to fight the century’s last conflicts. But men bred and designed to fight are dangerous to have around in peacetime. Many of them have left for Mars, but one has returned. Somehow he survived the journey to Earth, and now a series of brutal slayings has erupted across America. Only Carl can stop him.
And so begins a frenetic man hunt and a battle for survival. And a search for the truth about what was really done with the world’s last soldiers."

Morgan writes in a style that could be described as Airport sci-fi. It is very accessible, paced quickly and tends to wrap up loose ends neatly.  I've read a bunch of his other books and I would say that this one ranks somewhere in the middle. It was fun but at times so outlandish as to take me right out of the story.



No comments: